The new project, building a bicycle trailer ; not a sidecar.,

Hello, I am back, now making a bicycle trailer with the sidecar box and chasses. for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. I still believe the sidecar coupling works as I tried it out but not brave enough to try it on our British narrow roads; I was imagining as I cycled along on the bendy roads that a hoofing great truck would come belting round and see me there taking up half the lane... too late; BANG! me and Bonnie off to heaven riding our bike and sidecar on the clouds and waving at all the holiday makers passing by in their package holiday aircraft.
RIGHT! Anyway this is the sidecar with an extra wheel and a tow bar.

In this picture I am levelling the finished trailer frame to gauge the height for the tow bar in relation to the seat stem. The bottom of the bar from the ground is 11 and a quarter inch from the ground, the bicycle seat is 30 inch from the ground so I will cut my stanchion for the tow bar to fit between the trailer and the bicycle seat stem.


On this photo I have a close up of the bubble dead centre.

Because I took so much off the original frame when making the sidecar I have had to widen it to fit 2 wheels in. I pop riveted quarter inch, half inch and one inch bore pipes inside on another two join them together and make the joints strong.

One  Wheel fitted in frame.
 I used the bed brackets again having taken the 2 brackets back from my rear wheel and forks of my bike that was for the roll bar. Here I am making sure they are in line Notice the larger tube right side top. I could have put it along the whole length but it would have caused the original inner bar on the main frame to be thinner than the outer one and caused one bracket to sit higher than the other and put the wheel on a slant. I will test ride it first, I think it is strong enough but I can always put a support strengthening bar along it if it looks to be weakening after a trip; without Bonnie in it as I don't want to frighten her from travelling in it.

 Here I have placed one outer bar next to the frame to show you how I slid the collars on and slid the thing onto the bars that I have placed into the frame to hold it.

 three quarter and half inch pipes; I also have photo's of the quarter inch ones but cant find it on my computer; however, you can see my drift.
Here is The whole frame together , temporarily. The brass bed brackets need strengthening as the wheel nuts are pulling them in, I have tried washers between the wheel hub and bracket, but the tightened nut still tends to pull the bracket in and slip down. So, I thought to drill small holes in the corners of some of those square washers that I have left over from when erected fencing around my garden. I will cut the holes with an hacksaw so that they are the same as the holes in the brackets and the wheels will slip in and out.



 Here are my pop rivets; if they look as though they aren't going to hold after a trip across some rough ground I will reinforce them with more rivets and some strong bolts.
 Here is the up stanchion for the tow-bar that I still have to cut to size, the tee piece I have slid into the larger tubing will go under the carriage, I will slide and rivet a bar through the tee so that I can bolt it from the centre bar on the carriage to the tubing on the inner side of the wheel housing.

Comments

Popular Posts