Building a bicycle sidecar out of scrap materials.

"What do you want that rubbish for?" she asked, "cluttering everywhere up!" So, I hid it all in the garage loft where the Mrs never ventures up rickety ladders. I had another project in my mind, here is the start of it; a sidecar to take my terrier out away from traffic on the public bridle ways.

Above and below is the first coupling to the bike that I tried out 2 old bed brackets for holding the base onto the bedhead.







Above is my first try out of the base only, before I put the floor and carrier compartment for the dog on. It was too wide, I kept hitting the kerb with the wheel as I felt vulnerable to passing cars stuck out too far into the road
 and the front corner kept hitting my heel when my foot came round and up.


On this photo you can see where I was going to put the wheel on the outside of the frame -an old play tower out of a skip- I have another bed bracket bolted on and the hole in the middle was where the axle went through. plus, I had another bar running in line with it with a bed bracket on, I had that on wingnuts with the brainwave that I could take it off and pull the wheel out. But like I say it would have been too wide.


So I brought the wheel into the frame as shown below. to do this I had to turn the frame around as it has a bar going straight across the centre that I want to keep for strength. And, I had to bolt the hitching bar opposite it. Next I screwed the base where the dog will stand and sit by drilling a hole in the frame bars it is sitting on and screwing screws into the hardwood platform framing. The lid will be made up by the framing next to it that came off an old sun lounger that the Mrs wanted to dump; 'What?' I thought it has hinges on it, make a good lid, or door for something.



Here are my scribbles for ideas for shapes and coupling to the bike. I was going to make it in a boat shape with the curved sun lounger frame, but it was too big, my old skinny legs would have had to put in some gym work for that sort of muscle power. Can't afford gyms. And. I haven't got time to build the Gym apparatus for myself; a waste of good junk. For the coupling I cut a piece out of a square piece of metal frame to bolt onto bikes back wheel and back fork, leaving you  with the frame to bolt on sidecar both have a rod pushed through when hitched together so the sidecar can be put on and off the bike. I will show all that at the end of the project.
Above is my final idea for the shape of the sidecar and below more scribbles.


Plastic corner protectors cut from old drainpipes.
The sticking out bars on the above chassie have now been sawn off.

Watch this space; or blog, for further work, I was going to put it all on at once but I need to get this blog started before it go's off with lack of work and views. I am using square plastic drainpipes cut to make corners for the box and an old kitchen/shower splashboard for the walls and base to keep it as light as possible, like I say, not a Desperate Dan me self. the dog is only a little terrier, you would need a bigger one for a slobbery Great Dane, I don't know if the Splashboard will be suitable for the English weather; I do live on the East coast though -the drier side of the country-; the rain is mostly on the west side Wales, Ireland and Scotland; However, my little terrier doesn't slobber to make the floor wet from the inside ha, ha. Bye for now.


Oh, before I go, this is where I got my idea for the chassis,  This is from the 1930s and has a detachable box on. You can take the box off and lift the sidecar up so that it sits on the mudguard. But my one can be taken off all together by just pulling the long pin out of the rolling bar that allows the bike to lean on bends.


Comments

Popular Posts